We’ve released our latest citizen science camouflage game Egglab! I’ve been reporting on this for a while here so it’s great to have it released in time for Easter – we’ve had coverage in the Economist, which is helping us recruit egg hunters and 165,000 eggs have been tested so far over the last 3 days. At time of writing we’ve turned over 13 generations starting with random pattern programs and evolving them with small mutations, testing them 5 times with different players and picking the best 50% each time.
Here is an image of some of the first generation of eggs:
And this shows how they’ve developed 13 generations later with the help of many thousands of players:
We can also click on an individual egg and see how it’s evolved over time:
And we see how on average the time taken to find eggs is changing:
Technically this project involves distributed pattern generation on people’s browsers using HTML5 Canvas, making it scalable. Load balancing what is done on the server over three machines and a Facebook enabled subgame – which I’ll use another blog post to explain.
The first Project Nightjar game was a big success, with 6 thousand players in the first few days – so we’ll have lots of visual perception data to get through! Today I’ve been doing a bit more work on the egg generator for the next citizen science camouflage game:
I’ve made 24 new, more naturalistic base images than the abstract ones I was testing with before, and implemented the start of the genetic programming system – each block of 4×4 eggs here are children of a single randomly created parent, each child is created with a 1% mutation rate. The programs trees themselves are 6 levels deep, so a maximum of 64 binary composite operations.
All the genetic programming effort will happen in HTML5, thus neatly scaling the processing with the number of players, which is going to be important if this game proves as popular as the last – all the server has to do then is keep a record of the genotypes (the program trees) and their corresponding fitness.
One catch with this approach is the implementation of globalCompositeOperation in HTML5, the core of the image synthesis technique I’m using, is far from perfect across all browsers. Having the same genotype look different to different people would be a disaster, so I’m having to restrict the operations to the ones consistently supported – â€œsource-overâ€,â€source-atopâ€,â€destination-overâ€,â€destination-outâ€,â€lighterâ€ and â€œxorâ€.
It’s great to settle down to a few days of drawing and planning on paper for the Nightjar camouflage project I’m working on with the sensory ecology and evolution group. First things first, exploring the data, identifying potential groups of people who will find it useful and exciting, working out ways to bring it to their attention – and a bit of rough and ready ‘mobile first’ web design.