Day one on a new project – with Kaffe Matthews, and a collaboration between FoAM & Timelab, “The Swamp that was” is an opera where bicycles become a way to hear stories of the past in the city of Ghent.
I’m picking up the software side of things from Wolfgang Hauptfleisch, which involves using BeagleBoards – low power self contained open hardware ARM computers, a good follow up to my experiments with the considerably more closed NDS and less general purpose Android.
The “swamp” system is based on lua scripts calling proteaAudio for realtime audio processing. Lua has a tiny footprint and is great as an embedded interpreter (despite indexing from 1 and other minor gripes). Everything seems to be up and running, and I’ve set up a project on gitorious with the sourcecode.
Some random things I’ve learned include: flags to speed up dd copying images to extremely slow usb SD memory cards:
sudo dd if=swamp0-1.img of=/dev/sde oflag=dsync bs=1M count=1024
List ip addresses of devices attached to your local router:
sudo arp-scan --interface=wlan0 192.168.1.0/24
I’m using the Ã…ngstrÃ¶m distribution on the beagle board, which uses opkg for package management – it took me a long time to figure out the best way to search for packages is simply:
opkg list | grep alsa